How Digital is your Marketing?

How Digital is your Marketing?

As the line begins to blur between our online and offline environment, so too does the line between brand awareness. Modern consumers have come to expect a seamless brand experience, where digital marketing merges faultlessly with expectations created by traditional marketing. Digital is no longer an add-on – it’s a necessity.

Digital marketing has evolved to the point where customers believe it to be more credible and trustworthy than traditional channels such as TV, radio or newspaper. This is, in turn, changing the B2B perspective within the marketing industry. A recent Google survey of B2B marketers found that 80% of most effective B2B marketing channels are digital.

Digital is efficient because it’s measurable. While traditional media can give you a rough guide as to how many people might have seen your ad, digital can give you definitive results: open rates, click-throughs, registrations, social media mentions. Media channels now allow brands to open up and have a conversation with their customers, driving new product development and innovation as well as building brand equity.

These days almost every business engages in some sort of digital marketing – a website, sponsored search on Google or Facebook, and the occasional eNewsletter.

What’s often missing is the thing that ties it all together, a cohesive plan where customers come first, stay connected and share the journey with you.

To achieve such a result ask yourself the following questions:

1. Does your digital strategy connect with customers on both emotional and rational levels?
  2. Does your digital strategy take into account the decision journey of your customers?
  3. Does your digital strategy cover all your paid, owned and earned media bases?

The fact remains that people are driven by emotions first and then by logic. Whether you are selling software, delivering professional services or toys, you must engage with your audience in a memorable, authentic fashion.

Your company value proposition always matters, but it’s emotional engagement that creates a lasting impact and builds relationships in the digital world. Gone are the old days where companies made marketing decisions based on rational, logical factors such as cost implications – rather we’re now sparking conversations.

Digital marketing has reshaped the old thinking, bending a horizontal flat line approach into a cyclical journey that no longer ends with just a purchase. It is an ongoing customer experience that leads to advocacy, turning passive customers into active users.

While the new model creates boundless brand advocates, it also creates brand assailants, whose negative experiences can dissuade potential customers. The Internet has handed both advocates and assailants a megaphone and an audience. 58% of social media users write negative product reviews – while 25% say they broadcast their negative experiences to punish companies.

Digital credibility is everything. It’s a delicate ecosystem that must be managed and nurtured with a digital strategy, where owned and earned media become paramount in building trust and loyalty with customers. While this is crucial, keep in mind that no one form of media can be used in isolation. A social media post or an article won’t be as effective without a website that provides more information and social media that validates those claims.

62 Comments on this Post

1. Great article! I’m glad that you mentioned emotion when it comes to digital marketing. Many marketers fail to tap into this emotional trigger being that they aren’t communicating in person or by phone like with traditional marketing. But the truth is that if you can’t move your prospects to take action, then you will fail miserably at digital marketing.

2. I totally agree with this: “Digital is no longer an add-on – it’s a necessity.” The net is part of everyone’s lives now and so businesses must use digital marketing at their advantage.

3. Doreen Kimanzi

Nowadays there is no business that can thrive without digital marketing. However, digital marketing especially social media can break a business in the case of assailants like you have mentioned.

4. Hakuna Matata

Digital marketing is the backbone of any successful business whether it is small or in the fortune 500 category. Smaller businesses however have to develop a marketing strategy that optimizes their businesses, reason being a small marketing blunder can back fire in their face as compared to bigger companies that have customer confidence.

5. Curious about the paid media coverage online- I’ve noticed that the people that like or view the ads aren’t quality. Seems that placing ads isn’t as good as it cooped up to be? It’s good though that digital is measured but I’m sure statistic wise, there’s evidence in traditional ads. 🙂

• Aris Jerahian

All ads should be evaluated carefully. The benefit of digital ads is you have the ability to make instant changes to reach better leads. With traditional ads you don’t have the option to make changes as they are fixed for the entire month.

6. Its true that marketing needs to appeal to emmotion. You must make someone realize that you have a solution to their want, even if they had not realized it. Reviews have also become strong back-up for purchase decisions. The more positive they are, the better for the business.

7. Alex Summers

As a rookie Internet Marketer I can use this article. To be honest Internet Marketing is harder than it looks.

8. Scott Summers

I am no marketer but I appreciate articles such as this one. I am planning to make a living online later on, when I am tired with my 9-5 job.

9. Thanks for the informative article! And I also agree with the emotions part, even though it’s online you still need to work your way things through. You tackled digital marketing in a way that most people would understand which helped me a lot since I might start an online business soon and I want know how things work! Again, thank you for making things simple yet understandable!

10. This is a very informative article. I really didn’t know until know how the emotional connection between the advertiser and potential customer on the internet is important.

11. The emotional trigger is a must have in any digital marketing strategy. And it is what some of these companies that need to stay on top do, always keeping their customers first, which then makes them come back for more.

12. Digital marketing is truly becoming more of a necessity. The key definitely is connecting emotionally with the market to build a social community.

13. I agree– being able to generate the statistics is indeed helpful for a company! With most people spending their time online nowadays, I’m not surprised that a huge percentage of the most effective B2B marketing channels are digital.

14. Hi Aris, I must admit that your article is wonderful.Its an eye-opener to those who haven’t come to the realization that digital marketing is indeed the most effective.I agree that digital marketing has to be strategized based on the questions presented in your article in order to achieve great results.

15. Kisiludrew

Credible digital marketing must put into effect the three questions posed..

16. This article has been very helpful. I am attempting to promote my music and work on getting a book published, and most of my push has been online, but this has still been very encouraging and informative. Thanks for the post!

17. “As the line begins to blur between our online and offline environment, so too does the line between brand awareness” What I think that, if you brand just started, it might try to build up your brand recognition in the market.

18. It’s a very good write up. I read all through and basically I would like to read more of this.

19. Edwin Kamau

Am impressed with this post. It’s very true that digital marketing is taking over and it is evident i our social networks.

20. Maybe the effectivity of marketing also depends on a business’ demographics. Products and services for millenials would probably be best if advertised online. For Baby Boomers, maybe not as much.

21. roberachi

Digital marketing is the way forward as you put it. I like the idea you have that the marketers have to relate emotionally with the customers. You have completely changed my aspect on digital marketing, great article.

22. I believe television is not as traditional method as you say. All in all I agree with you modern consumers relate with digital means more than other methods like TV.

23. Shamkant Sukalikar.

I agree that having effective website is essential to market the product efficiently, but again the fact is there are thousands of websites related to same subject or ‘key words’. Now the question is how to make an effective websites which covers both,emotions and logic and next? how to deploy and establish it effectively in digital market?

24. I totally agree that Credibility is everything. Audiences have all the reasons to be skeptic now. Better be sure to be reliable and consistent in order to build trust.

25. I believe that all businesses should really invest in moving their marketing strategy from a traditional one like giving flyers and brochures on the street into hiring a SEO specialist that will handle your advertisements on digital world.

26. I truly agree with your article. One thing I like best about digital marketing is that you can see how many people have been reached by your ads. Plus you can track what your customers look for so you’ll be able to put ads based on their needs.

27. So right that Digital is efficient in a business compare to traditional media. It’s versatility opens door to connect with customers efficiently so as to build brand effectively.

28. kittyprydexmen

This is right no matter what marketing it is. What matters is try to help first before start selling. My teacher told me that and he is right.

29. kadoyatsukasa123

Digital marketing is harder than it looks. Even I who has done it for over a year now has been struggling!!! I could use these tips. Thanks

30. Interesting insight. Very helpful article especially to those people who are thinking to start their digital marketing. Having an effective digital marketing strategy is crucial to your company’s success.

31. Kenneth Clark

If you are thinking of turning your marketing into digital platform, I really recommend to have professional staff to handle it. Because like what is written in your article, it gives both advocates and assailants a stage to voice out their opinion.

32. Luis Miguel

A friend of mine is currently search for advice on how to turn traditional marketing into modern and digital one. This article will surely help him. I’ll pass it on. Thank you so much!

33. Lonen Marquez

I’m a proud and happy user of digital marketing. My family own a bakeshop and we advertise it online through Facebook. The ad fee is small compare to the earnings that we make. Now, we are able to reach people that are kilometers away from us. Digital Marketing is a huge help to businesses like us.

• Aris Jerahian

That is great to hear. Make sure you take full advantage of advertising on Facebook to better manage your reach potential.

34. The audience is king in digital marketing. It is important to know your audience well to avoid those nasty reviews.

35. Yes, you really have to connect to your audience in every way possible. In digital marketing, you must be able to develop loyalty from your audience. It’s hard to do, but it’s possible.:)

36. Sakura Haruno

it needs a bit of patience and a lot of work. big companies can do transitions quickly but small ones will take time.

37. This is the future face of advertising since it is all digital. Traditional ones maybe dying out due to this.

38. I can’t help, but agree with you when you said that it’s a circular cycle now. In this digital age, we have to build a loyal fanbase; people who will keep coming back to our brand.

39. Nahyane

It’s so true when you said that we have to spark conversations. We have to keep them talking about our brands and the digital platform is the perfect avenue for that.

40. I agree that digital marketing has shaped the way consumers think. Personally, it’s not only about the amount of ads you place in the digital space but also the story or message you want to put out there. You want your consumers to engage with your brand and relate in a way. Overall, good read!

41. Katherine Joyce

I do a small online selling business and use Facebook, Instagram, and Amazon as my platform. I personally manage it and I’m glad that I am in control of my time. Digital marketing really works.

42. John Oscar

I absolutely agree with you. Though rational strategy also works but, I believe more that engaging with your customers emotionally is more effecting in gaining their trust and interest.

43. One of my 2018 resolutions is to start my own business and of course digital marketing will play an important role on it. So thank you a lot for all this info! I totally agree with you and I’ll try to follow your advice.

44. Norvin Ken

Thank you so much for sharing amazing tips on how we can improve digital marketing. I’m still doing a research on how to shift from traditional to modern marketing method so this really helps. Thanks!

45. Mary Jackyline

I’m still afraid to start digital marketing because I’m still not familiar with the digital world. I’m afraid that my products will be bashed without my knowledge. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not that I don’t want to hear negative comments, that’s not it. I just want to continue having face to face interaction with my clients.

• Aris Jerahian

Face to face is always important, however digital is also important. Just look at the stats on the number of people who live on their phone and are always online.

46. Wilfred

I’ve seen big brands take digital marketing lightly and end up getting outdone by small-time competitors in terms of online presence. The result? The smaller company effectively levels the playing field. In the right hands, digital marketing is one immensely powerful tool.

47. amanda S.

All these insights got me thinking… which one should go first? Having a website for one’s business or creating a social media presence for the brand?

48. Erza Scarlet

Nothing beats person to person way of doing things sorry.. Digital is fine but bottom line a personal touch goes a long way.

49. Gray Full Buster

Digital Marketing huh? Well times are changing indeed. I am just glad I am there to see it.

50. Jose Parco

I am interested on using digital marketing because almost everyone uses cyberspace. I believe that it is easier to manage and control than regular marketing.

51. Pedro Dominic

Some people might think that Digital Marketing makes your customer connection weak because you’re not able to see them personally but, I believe the opposite. Digital Marketing makes you reach out to more audience, respond more quickly to their questions, and manage their complains in real time.

52. I have this new business. I am thinking of using digital marketing to get it going. This article is really helpful. Thank you.

53. It’s good that you mentioned about appealing to one’s emotions. It is very effective in sparking a conversation.

54. Sysan Storm

I agree with most notions You may need a pro to transition to Digital Marketing. It takes more than a few social media know how to build a brand.

55. I tried this out and I almost give up. That is how it is for rookies who thinks that FB is just easy think again. The real challenge is convincing people that it can work.

56. ” every business engages in some sort of digital marketing – a website, sponsored search on Google or Facebook, and the occasional eNewsletter.”
    What I think that, if you go with ecommerce, you might need a digital platform to promote your products and services.